The Geological Survey of Canada (Atlantic; GSCA), in partnership with l’Institut des sciences de la mer de Rimouski (ISMER) of the University of Québec at Rimouski (UQAR), invites applications for an MSc research position in the field of marine geology. The GSCA, located in Dartmouth (Nova Scotia, Canada), is a research leader in marine geology and has numerous laboratories as well as state-of-the-art analytical infrastructures. ISMER-UQAR, located in Rimouski (Québec, Canada), is a multidisciplinary oceanographic research center and a major player in marine sciences.
Funded by the Geological Survey of Canada, the proposed research project aims to use physical, mineralogical, and geochemical properties of surface and subsurface sediments retrieved in Jones Sound, Lancaster Sound and northern Baffin Bay. The data will be used to (1) characterize the spatial distribution of the surface sediments in Jones Sound, (2) define the transport processes of detrital sediments in Jones Sound, and (3) document the evolution of depositional conditions in Jones Sound during the last millennium. The hired student as part of this MSc project could have the opportunity to participate on scientific cruises and will attend national and international scientific meetings. The MSc project will be supervised by Research Scientist Pierre-Arnaud Desiage at GSCA and Professor Jean-Carlos Montero-Serrano at ISMER-UQAR.
- 20,000 $ per year, for a maximum duration of two years.
- A tuition exemption program is also available to cover the extra tuition fees of international students: https://www.uqar.ca/services/services-a-l-etudiant/aide-financiere/programme-d-excellence-d-exemption-des-droits-de-scolarite-supplementaires-exiges-des-etudiants-etrangers
- To get an idea of the cost of studying in Rimouski, please visit this website: http://services.uqar.ca/SimulationFrais/
EXPECTED STARTING DATE
No later than January 2024.
- MSc in Oceanography from ISMER-UQAR, Rimouski, Québec, Canada. For more information on the MSc in oceanography at ISMER: https://www.uqar.ca/etudes/etudier-a-l-uqar/programmes-d-etudes/3615
- Internships at the Geological Survey of Canada in Dartmouth are planned during the development of the MSc.
The candidate should hold an undergraduate degree in Earth Sciences, Geology, Geochemistry, Geological engineering, or any related discipline at the time of appointment. Having experience in sedimentology and mineralogy will be considered and asset. The candidate should also satisfy the basic admission requirements of ISMER-UQAR for the MSc Program in Oceanography. Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral French and English.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application package electronically as a single pdf file to Pierre-Arnaud Desiage (pierre-arnaud.desiage [at] NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca (pierre-arnaud[dot]desiage[at]NRCan-RNCan[dot]gc[dot]ca)):
1) A letter explaining your motivation to apply;
2) Curriculum vitae;
3) All university transcripts;
4) A list of practical and technical skills;
5) Names and contact information of two potential referees.
Review of applications will begin now and continue until the position is filled.
The Geological Survey of Canada and University of Québec in Rimouski are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. s activités de recherche, idées et dynamique de groupe.